There goes another Raya without me going to the mosque for the eid prayer. I missed the last one because I didn't wake up. This one, well, I didn't even bother to try to wake up. The mosque is too far away to walk and everyone was busy with work or finals so nobody can drive me. Not a large pool of people to draw from the beginning considering that the Friday congregation at our surau-converted-from-apartment has a grand total of around 20. If I had not made it obvious yet, it is damn hard being a practicing Muslim here. Emphasis on the 'practicing' because apparently here having a religion doesn't mean that you have to practice it. Countless times I've received the remarks, "Oh you're a muslim...emmm are you a practicing Muslim?"
I suppose that I should have applied to a university in a more urban setting where they have halal restaurants and sizable 'practicing' muslims that would have my life a lot more easier. To tell the truth, I am not regretting it as much. The environment is totally different: I'm living on a vegan-cum-seafood diet because of my insistence of not katok-ing, small prayer congregation etc. I guess it's times like these that you know whether your religion is just for show or you truly believe in it. Ahh, enough with the sentiments.
I want daging korban panggang. These weeks (or maybe months) without meat is making me miss the fresh meat from korban that we the cousins cut, skewer and grill on Aidil Adha. Let's just hope I won't miss the next Raya prayers... oh wait the next Syawal 1 falls while I'm back in the US...
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
sedeynye cite kau pua.
xpe2. dugaan semua tu.
aku pun rindu bbq party kat umah kau.
haha. be tough bro:)
haha. phua! i'm sure if u're willing to travel a bit there are halal grocers around=) hehe. i soo understand how u feel. i am a katok virin jugak. carilah a msian family dekat2 situ! bile cuti can go there and eat! i go for my halal meals (ayam, daging,oooh yeah) at this msian family's place=) anyways, how's life?
alright, just to be sure, katok maksudnya apa?
alif: haha small matter je oggy
nj: apparently usa ni besar sgt yang u need a car to go around.. but the halal grocers would be useless for me at this point in time sbb a) tak reti masak, b) i dare not cook in the lounge takut tinggal bau, c) i dont want to set off the fire alarm.. haha
wiri: i think katok means makan meat yang not sembelih ikut islam but ada view yg allow their consumption sbb 'darurat'
Post a Comment